- 50 grams smoked bacon (finely diced)
- 2 onions (peeled and chopped)
- 800 grams potatoes (floury, peeled and diced)
- 150 grams carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves (fresh chopped, plus sprgs to garnish)
- 150 grams creme fraiche
- 20 grams butter
- 150 grams chanterelle mushrooms (or small brown cap, wiped and sliced)
- Heat a non-stick saucepan and add the chopped bacon. Cook over a medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside on paper towel. Add half the chopped onions to the bacon fat in the pan and sauté for 5 mins. Stir in the potatoes and carrots and cook for a further 5 mins, stirring all the time.
- Add the stock and chopped thyme and season with freshly ground black pepper. Cover and simmer for 20-25 mins until the vegetables are tender. Remove the pan from the heat and use a stick blender to puree the soup. Stir in 1/3 cup of the sour cream and reheat gently. Season to taste.
- Heat the butter in a skillet and cook the remaining onions for 5 mins, add the mushrooms and cook until tender and golden. Stir in the bacon pieces to heat through. Season with black pepper.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and top with spoonfuls of the remaining sour cream and the onion, mushroom and bacon mixture. Garnish with thyme and serve immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories370Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Annoushka O. 5 Dec 2016
Amazing!!! I added a drop or two of truffle oil to maximize the mushroom effect. A perfect winter soup.