Root vegetables are the crowning glory of this Potato and Beet Gratin. Rich and earthy, slices potatoes and beets make the perfect base for this French inspired gratin. Covered in a creamy Butterkäse (butter cheese) sauce, the gratin is baked until crisp and golden on top. Nutmeg and freshly ground mustard enhance the earthy flavors of this creamy gratin. Serve this Potato and Beet Gratin as a side or bring this to your next potluck get together.
- 2 servings
- 4 potatoes
- 1 beets
- 2 slices cheese (butter, Aveleda brand)
- 100 milliliters low-fat milk
- extra-virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper (freshly)
- whole grain mustard (freshly ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Peel the potatoes, and slice thinly in the food processor.
- Place the potatoes in cold water, preferably with a few ice cubes.
- Slice the beet, and wash under running water to remove the excess pink ink.
- Brush the bottom of a low sided baking dish with a little bit of olive oil.
- Remove the potatoes from the water, pat dry with parchment paper, and make a bed of potatoes alternating with the beets. Season between each layer with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and mustard seeds
- Heat the milk and cheese slices in a small saucepan. Stir until the cheese melts, mix in the nutmeg. Cover the potatoes with this mixture.
- Place in the oven, and bake for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are well cooked.
PER SERVING *
|Calories540Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.