Potato Meatloaf with Cherry Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers and CeleryL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Potatoes, breadcrumbs and eggs help bind this flavorful meatloaf, made from ground beef and finely chopped mortadella. It's seasoned with Parmesan and nutmeg. Covered in white wine and sealed before baking. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, the foil is removed so it can brown, and tomatoes, peppers and celery are added to the dish. If you have happen to have leftovers, turn them into a sandwich by suffing the meat between slices of crusty bread.
- 150 grams dry bread crumbs (soaked in milk)
- 400 grams ground beef (pork, or veal, or a mixture of all 3)
- 50 grams mortadella (finely chopped)
- 5 potatoes (medium, boiled and mashed)
- 50 grams grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- ground nutmeg
- chopped parsley
- salt and ground black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces white wine
- 5 cherry tomatoes (vine ripened, chopped)
- 4 sweet pepper (sliced into rounds)
- 1/2 celery ribs (sliced finely)
- 1Preheat the oven to 190C.
- 2Combine the ground meat in a bowl with the mashed potatoes, mortadella, breadcrumbs with the milk, parmesan cheese, eggs, and the nutmeg.
- 3Season to taste with salt and pepper and shape the meatloaf.
- 4Grease a baking dish with oil, place the meatloaf inside, and pour the white wine over it.
- 5Bake the meatloaf for approximately 50 minutes, turning it over often. Keep the meatloaf covered with aluminum foil for the first 40 minutes, then remove the aluminum foil so it can become crispy.
- 6Add the tomatoes, peppers, celery, some oil, and salt and pepper during the last 15 minutes in the oven.
- 7Remove the meatloaf from the oven and serve.