- 1 pound dried salted codfish
- 1 pound potatoes
- onions (1 med. to lg.)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (flat preferred)
- 2 eggs
- Soak cod fish in cold water in a glass container for 12 hours or overnight, changing water 3 or 4 times. Put cod fish in large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to boil and test water. If too salty, change water and boil again. Cook for about 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily. When cool pick out any bones or skin and shred using fingers.
- Cook washed potatoes, peel and rice or mash coarsely. Combine cod fish, potatoes, finely chopped onions and parsley. Add egg and mix (hands work best). Add second egg if necessary, if too dry.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil, peanut works well, in heavy skillet. Shape cod fish mixture into small cakes. A large tbsp. makes a perfect size cake. Cook cakes in oil until golden brown, turning once. Do not crowd. Oil will bubble during the cooking process. Drain on paper towels. Serve them at room temperature or cold. May be refrigerated for days.
Portuguese-Style Salt CodEat with Marco
Portuguese Cod (A Gomes de Sa)Portugeuse Recipes
Salada de Bacalhau com Feijão Frade – Salt Cod and Black Eyed Pea SaladTia Maria's Portuguese Foodie Blog
Fish and Chip CakesThe Cooking Bride
Salt Cod Fish CakesDiverse Dinners
Home Made Fish Cakes With Salt CodSkinny Mama - Barb Miller
Portuguese Chickpea Salad with Salt CodLeite's Culinaria
Portuguese Salted Cod FrittersABC
Black Cod Fish Cakes with Tartar Saucechowhound.com
Acadian Salt Cod Fish CakesThe Kitchn
Portuguese Salt Cod Stew (Bacalhoada)Simply Recipes
Sunshine State Warm Fish SandwichesHellmann's
Portuguese Salt Cod and Potato CasseroleLeite's Culinaria
Bacalhau com Grao – Salt Cod and Chick Pea SaladTia Maria's Portuguese Foodie Blog
Gluten Free Cod Fish CakesKindred Kitchen
Portuguese Salt Cod HashLeite's Culinaria