Okay, so cabbage can be dull in the wrong context. But mix it with something as authentic and flavorful as Topiteu alheira- or Portuguese sausages- and you can take cabbage to the next level. This savory dish packs a hearty amount of protein with its combination of sausage, eggs, and rice. The sauteed cabbage will bring out a slightly vinegary taste, accompanied by the sweetness of carmelized onions. Layered in rice and topped with baked eggs, this meal will leave you feeling well fed. Pair this recipe with an earthy red wine to polish off a romantic dinner for two!
- cabbage (Spring, sliced)
- 2 cups rice
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (boiling)
- 2 Topiteu alheiras (Portuguese garlic sausages)
- 4 eggs
- olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius degrees.
- Grease a baking pan with butter.
- Wash, drain, and slice the cabbage.
- Wash, and drain the rice.
- In a pot, slightly saute the chopped onion, and 1 garlic clove.
- When browned, add the cabbage. Stir well, and add the rice.
- Pour in the vegetable broth (double the amount of rice).
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a frying pan, and saute 1 garlic clove.
- Cut the sausage open lengthwise, and remove the filling. Add to frying pan, and mash with a fork. Fry slightly until soft, and remove from pan.
- In an ovenproof platter, add a layer of rice with cabbage.
- Spread the sausage filling on top, and cover with another layer of rice.
- Place the whole eggs individually on top of the rice, and bake until golden, for about 20 minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories270Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.