- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms (stemmed and coarsely chopped)
- 1 onion (large, coarsely chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds red potatoes (chopped into 1-2 inch chunks)
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons marmite (optional, but highly recommended for savory flavor)
|Calories380Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Homegirl 26 Jan 2018
This is FANTASTIC! My partner doesn’t even like mushrooms and he enjoyed it. My guests were vegan and they said it’s one of the best stews they’ve had! The smoke and marmite made this exceptionally flavourful and “meaty”. It’s definitely going to be a new go-to recipe for guests, vegan or not!
Darlene MacNeil 26 Dec 2017
I made this for Christmas dinner with home made bread because my sister is vegan. It was a huge hit! Even my meat-loving, Eastern European boyfriend couldn’t get over how good it was. I put some of the soup into a cup and mixed in flour to create more of a gravy consistency - otherwise I think this would have been a bit runny to be considered a stew. The flavour from the marmite and the smoke made this taste just as good as the best beef stew I’ve ever made! This dish is going to be on regular rotation in my kitchen.