Filled with a thick porto wine cherry jam, this Porto Flavored Cherry Pie is an ideal treat for the cold winter months. The cherry filling and pie crust are both made with raw sugar, for a slightly healthier dessert option. The pie crust is made with grated tonka beans in order to provide the pie crust with a light flavor similar to that of vanilla. This recipe provides you with enough pie dough to make this pie a covered pie, be sure to cut slits into the top crust to let steam out.
- 250 grams flour
- 120 grams raw sugar
- 200 grams salted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 beans (grated Tonka)
- water (as needed)
- 250 grams cherries (pitted)
- 150 grams raw sugar
- lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons port wine
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 3 pieces butter
- To prepare the pie crust, combine the flour in a bowl with the raw sugar and the butter, use the tips of your fingers to mix the ingredients into an oatmeal-like consistency.
- Add the grated Tonka bean and the egg yolks and continue kneading quickly, if necessary add some ice water.
- Shape the dough into a ball, cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
- To prepare the filling, in the meantime, wash the pitted cherries.
- Place them in a deep pan with the sugar and lemon and cook on moderate heat, covered.
- Add the port wine and continue cooking for approximately 30 minutes, or until similar to jam in consistency.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- To complete the pie, divide the dough into two parts, one larger than the other, and roll out the dough to two sheets for the pie crust.
- Butter and flour a pie plate.
- Line the pie plate with the larger sheet first and then add the cherry filling.
- Cover the pie with the smaller sheet of dough and seal the edges closed.
- Make a few incision in the pie crust for the steam, sprinkle with some raw sugar and add a few pieces of butter.
- Bake at 180C for approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool.
PER SERVING *
|Calories960Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.