Dress up a dish with this creamy rich sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shallots (chopped)
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- In medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in shallots. Cook and stir until shallots are translucent (about 5 minutes). Stir in wine, broth, black pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to boil; reduce heat to simmer. Cook, uncovered until mixture reduces in half (about 15 minutes). Remove bay leaf. Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into blender container, cover with lid, and remove the center part of the lid. Place a paper towel over center hole. Pulse until smooth. Serve with heated fully-cooked ham.
- Makes about 1 1/3 cups sauce.