You have been invited to a party or potluck and you want to provide the perfect palate pleasing appetizer. This recipe for Port Cheese Mousse (with Figs) combines the rich and delicious flavors that will melt in your mouth. These savory cakes are packed with flavor and make the perfect party appetizer. Be sure to pick these ingredients up the next time you go shopping so you can surprise your friends with your culinary skills.
- 1/2 package digestive biscuit
- 30 grams butter
- 400 grams cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 150 grams sugar
- 50 milliliters port wine
- 50 milliliters milk
- 7 gelatin sheet
- figs (optional)
- For the crust, finely crush biscuits and mix with melted butter.
- Spread mixture into bottom of a springform pan.
- Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
- For the mousse, soak gelatin in a bowl of cold water.
- Separate the yolks from the whites.
- Beat egg yolks with the sugar until white and foamy.
- Add cream cheese and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a saucepan, heat milk over low heat, but do not allow to boil.
- Drain the gelatin and add to warm milk and stir until dissolved.
- Add port wine to cheese mixture.
- Gradually fold in the egg whites.
- Mix everything until combined and place mixture in mold and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Carefully remove mousse from mold.
- Tip: Line sides of mold with plastic wrap before pouring the mixture or pass a thin palette knife along sides of mold before removal.