Recipe courtesy of Michael Symon on behalf of The National Pork Board
- 1 1/2 lb. bone-in pork shoulder blade roast (yield 3 cups pulled pork from recipe)
- 2 lb. ground pork (96% lean)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 6 burger buns (potato, OR brioche burger buns)
- 6.5 oz. Gruyere cheese (slices)
- 1/2 cup red onion (pickled, OR very thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 lb. bone-in pork shoulder blade roast
- 1/4 cup ancho powder
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds (toasted*)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin seed (toasted*)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. olive oil (PLUS 2 tablespoons)
- 24 oz. Mexican beer
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. chipotles in adobo (finely chopped)
- 1 onions (small, sliced and separated into rings)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- Pulled Pork: To toast spices (coriander and cumin), place spices in a dry skillet. Heat and stir over medium heat until fragrant. Immediately remove spices from skillet. Combine ancho chile powder, paprika, coriander seeds, cumin and salt in small bowl; set aside.
- Cut 2 large pieces of plastic wrap. Place plastic wrap pieces on work surface in a cross position. Place roast on top in the center. Rub 2 teaspoons of oil on top of roast; spoon and pat half of the spice mixture on top. Carefully turn over roast on plastic wrap. Rub 2 teaspoons of oil on top; spoon and pat on the remaining spice mixture. Tightly wrap pork in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to a 6-quart heavy Dutch oven. Heat over medium-high heat.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories730Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat440|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes