Have extra zucchini from your garden? Did the neighbor's zucchini bush have a bumper crop? Try this stew with some bread and a side salad.
- 3 boneless pork chops (cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 29 ounces stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 medium zucchini (halved lengthwis & sliced 1/2-inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (crushed)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- In a plastic or paper bag combine flour, garlic salt and pepper. Add pork cubes; shake until coated with flour mixture. Set aside. In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and green pepper until onion is tender but not brown. Add pork, cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, basil and oregano; bring to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pork is tender, stirring occasionally. Spoon stew into individual soup bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.