Rich with flavor and bright with colors, this casserole will be an instant favorite. Make ahead for weeknight dinner, keep refrigerated and just pop into the oven, increasing baking time slightly. Serve with a green salad and hot bread.
- 4 boneless pork chops (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces fettucine (OR medium egg noodles)
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (broccoli, green beans, pearl onions, and red peppers)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (minced)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (OR Romano cheese, grated, divided)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large nonstick skillet stir-fry pork strips in oil until browned, about 4 minutes. Set aside. Cook fettucine according to package directions; drain well; set aside. In a large saucepan melt butter, stir in flour, basil and lemon pepper. Add the milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in pork, vegetables and 1/2 cup cheese, turn mixture into 5-quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake uncovered for 30 minutes.