Pork and Caramelized Onion SandwichesPork
There’s a double-onion whammy in these savory appetizers. The pork tenderloin is roasted in a crust of onions, and the sandwiches are laced with a sweet-and-savory onion jam.
- 2 onions (large, thinly sliced, about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary leaves (fresh, minced OR 3/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco Pepper Sauce (divided)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 whole pork tenderloin (about one pound each)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs (plain)
- 24 buns (cocktail)
- 5 spanish onion
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1Place onion slices, 1 tablespoon olive oil, rosemary, 1 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce, garlic, salt and cloves in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Mix well. Place tenderloins in dish and coat with onion mixture. Cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 2Remove pork from onions and set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onions and marinade and cook, stirring one minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 12-15 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown and very tender (add 1 tablespoon of water if skillet gets too dry). Add 1 1/2 teaspoon wine and simmer until evaporated. Remove from heat. Add bread crumbs and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce to onions and toss to mix well. Set aside.
- 3Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet. Add tenderloins and brown about 4 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with vegetable nonstick spray. Transfer pork to dish and press onion mixture firmly on top and sides of browned tenderloins. Roast for 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part registars 145 degrees F. Remove from oven , let pork stand 10 minutes; slice and serve on buns with Caramelized Onions.
PER SERVING *
|Calories260Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.