- 4 boneless pork chops (1-inch thick)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup celery (sliced)
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 7 ounces roasted red peppers, drained (and chopped)
- 2 1/2 ounces sliced mushrooms (drained)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley (minced)
- In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil; add chops and brown on each side. Remove from heat; set aside. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil; add barley and celery and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until celery is tender. Add broth, corn, peppers, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer; lower heat and cook, uncovered, for 20 mintues. Stir in 2 tablespoons parsley. Place chops on top of mixture; bake covered in a 350 degree F. oven to for 20 minutes until barley is tender.
- To serve, arrange chops on large serving platter. Spoon barley mixture onto the platter. Sprinkle the chops and barley mixture with the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.