- 6 boneless pork chops (3/4-inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening (solid, OR vegetable oil)
- 2 cups rice (long-grain)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 ounces pimentos (diced or sliced)
- hot water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large skillet brown chops, 3 at a time, in hot shortening or oil for 1-2 minutes on each side. Spread uncooked rice in 9x13-inch baking dish. Measure 1 tablespoon dry onion soup mix; set aside. Sprinkle remaining dry onion soup mix over rice.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid. Arrange mushrooms and pimiento over rice. Add enough hot water to reserved mushroom liquid to make 3 cups total liquid; pour over rice. Arrange chops on top. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon dry onion soup mix. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 45 minutes (time required to cook rice). Uncover and continue baking until excess liquid evaporates and until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.