With just four ingredients, this Pork Taco Rice Casserole is a hearty comfort food, sure to please family and friends!
- 1 pound 80% lean ground pork
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 box rice mix (Spanish)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups water
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chilies (undrained)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet, begin browning pork.
- Add taco seasoning and garlic powder to pork and stir to combine.
- In another large skillet, toast the rice in butter until it is browned and fragrant.
- Add water and, and instead of the can of diced tomatoes the box calls for, add can of diced tomatoes and chiles to rice mix. Allow the rice to come to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- When pork is cooked through (160 degrees F.), stir into rice and continue to simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Divide rice mixture between two 1 1/2-quart casserole dishes or one 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Cover casserole(s) with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until cheese is browned and the casserole is bubbly. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, jalapenos, black olives and corn bread.