- 4 quarts pork bones (uncooked)
- 2 large carrots (broken in several pieces)
- 2 onions (large, unpeeled and halved)
- 2 celery (ribs, roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (unpeeled and smashed)
- 15 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Place bones in single layer in large shallow roasting pan(s); add half of the vegetables and 1 clove of garlic. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes or until bones are well browned. Transfer bones and vegetables to large kettle; discard any fat.
- 2Pour about 1 cup water into roasting pan(s) and bring to boil over medium-high heat, scraping browned bits free from pan(s). Add to kettle.* Add remaining vegetables, remaining garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, salt, and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a simmer, occasionally skimming off any foam. Simmer, loosely covered, for 3 to 4 hours, adding more boiling water if liquid evaporates below surface of ingredients.
- 3Strain into large bowl, pouring through large colander or sieve lined with cheesecloth; discard solids. Cool slightly; chill for several hours or overnight. Lift off and discard fat. To store, cover and chill up to 4 days or freeze up to 1 year.
- 4Makes about 16 cups stock. Nutritional information per 1 cup of stock.
- 5*If not roasting bones, simply place all ingredients in large kettle and proceed with recipe.
- 6To Use a Pressure Cooker: In pressure cooker combine all ingredients (whether roasted or not) with enough water to cover. Pressure-cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- 7To Make Ham Stock: In large kettle simmer ham bone and trimmings (do not roast), 2 roughly chopped celery ribs, 1 roughly chopped onion, 1 broken carrot, a few peppercorns, a few allspice berries, 1 bay leaf, and 1 teaspoon dried thyme with enough water to cover. Strain, chill, and store as described above.
PER SERVING *
|Calories10Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.