- 250 grams onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped finely)
- 500 grams peppers (colourful, seeded and cut into strips)
- 6 pork steaks (each 125g-150g)
- 7 tablespoons oil
- 250 grams minced beef
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 150 milliliters vegetable stock
- 200 grams double cream
- 425 milliliters chopped tomatoes
- 150 grams gouda cheese (grated)
- fresh oregano (for garnish)
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of oil to a large pan and brown the pork steaks, turning as necessary. Season them to taste then remove them from the pan and transfer to an ovenproof dish. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the bolognese sauce, add 2 more tbsp of oil to the hot pan and cook the onions until golden brown. Remove the onions from the pan and add 2 more tbsp of oil to the hot pan and brown the beef, stirring, until it is crumbly. Add the garlic and peppers and cook for 4-5 more mins. Add the dried herbs and season to taste then pour in the stock and cream. Add the tomatoes and half of the cooked onions. Simmer, covered, over medium heat for about 5 mins.
- Add the bolognese sauce to the dish with the pork steaks, sprinkle with the remaining onions and the cheese and bake for 1 1/2 hours, covering with foil for the last 30-45 mins. Sprinkle with fresh oregano to serve.