Pork steaks simmer with Mediterranean flavors for a satisfying skillet meal. Serve with pasta or soft polenta, or Italian bread for mopping up the sauce.
- 4 blade pork steaks (3/4-1 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (ground)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 8 basil leaves (minced)
- Stir together fennel, salt and pepper and rub on both sides of steaks. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, add garlic and cook and stir for 1 minute, until garlic is mellow but not browned. Add steaks, brown about 1 1/2-2 minutes on each side. Pour tomatoes over steaks, bring to a boil, cover, lower heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until steaks are tender and until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Stir in basil.