Rubs are mixtures of spices that act like a dry marinade. The can be applied 10 to 20 minutes before cooking or longer to intensify the flavor. This rub also works well on chops or tenderloin. Serve with Crispy Half-Baked Potatoes and steamed vegetable medley.
- 2 1/2 pounds pork loin roast (boneless)
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons black pepper (coarsely ground)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt (OR 1 tablespoon salt)
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 4 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 1/2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme (crushed)
- Stir together brown sugar, sugar, black pepper, salt, ginger, garlic powder, onion salt, dry mustard, crushed red pepper, cayenne, cumin, paprika and thyme in small bowl. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the brown sugar mixture* evenly on all sides of the pork roast; use your fingers to rub into pork. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, 40-60 minutes (20 minutes per pound) until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145 degrees F. Remove roast from oven; let rest about 10 minutes before slicing.