Warm up cold evening with this hearty braised meal.
- 3 pounds pork loin roast (boneless)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 12 juniper berries (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups chicken broth (and additional as needed)
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 2 heads cabbage (coarsely chopped)
- 2 cups champagne (OR dry white wine)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Brown pork on all sides in olive oil; remove to deep skillet. Add remaining ingredients except Champagne Cabbage ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Braise for 30-40 minutes, until pork is done.
- Champagne Cabbage - In large skillet, saute onion and cabbage in olive oil until limp, 2-3 minutes. Stir in champagne or wine and let simmer until almost dry. Add caraway seed, chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently until almost dry. Slice roast to serve with gravy, mashed potatoes, hot Champagne Cabbage and seasonal vegetables.