- 3 pounds pork tenderloin (cut into 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 1/4 cup canola oil (OR olive oil)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 tomatillos (fresh and peeled)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 white peppercorns (OR black peppercorns)
- 1/2 onion (thinly sliced)
- 6 serrano chiles (seeded and sliced)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Preheat a large saucepan with oil over high heat. Cook in two batches, if necessary. Saute the pork slices over high heat three to four minutes, until the pork is tender but slightly firm inside. Reduce heat, add garlic, onion, chili peppers and salt.
- In blender, combine tomatillos, pumpkin seeds, peppercorns, cilantro and basil with the chicken broth until smooth. Strain puree and mix with pork and remaining ingredients. Cook over very low heat 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve immediately with rice and tortillas.