- 5 pounds pork neck (bones, reserved pork butt bones or ham hocks)
- 1 pound yellow onion
- 4 ounces fresh ginger root
- 4 whole clove
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- water ((or stock) to cover bones, approximately 1 gallon)
- 1 package noodles (Maifun, cooked according to package directions)
- 2 1/2 pounds pork belly (roasted and sliced)
- pork (from bones/hocks, shredded, approx. 1 lb.)
- 2 1/2 pounds pork loin (roasted and shaved, or pulled pork)
- 1In large Dutch oven or stock pot, cover the bones with water and bring to a boil, drain the bones and rinse. Cover with fresh water or stock.Roast the onion and ginger for 10 minutes at 450° F. to char the exterior.Add to pork bones.Meanwhile, in dry sauté pan, add cloves, fennel seed, peppercorns, star anise, cinnamon stick, coriander seed and garlic.Cook and stir over medium heat until aromatic, approximately 3 minutes.Add to bones along with fish sauce, salt and sugar.Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for approximately for 1 to 2 hours. As the broth simmers, skim any impurities that rise to the surface and discard.Strain stock; remove meat from bones and reserve.Pour broth into fat separator and drain off fat; if needed.Adjust seasoning with more salt, pepper and fish sauce to taste; if needed.
- 2Serve with pork belly, shredded pork and slices of roasted pork loin, and Maifun noodles.Garnish with bean sprouts, Thai basil, mint leaves, cilantro leaves, jalapeno slices, lime wedges, Sriracha chili sauce.
- 3 8 to 10 servings.
PER SERVING *
|Calories970Calories from Fat770|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat770|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.