- 2 1/4 pounds baking potatoes (such as Russet)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 1/4 pounds white cabbage (shredded)
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 pork chops (each about 9-10 oz)
- fresh parsley (chopped, to garnish)
- Cook the potatoes in a pot of boiling, salted water for 20 mins or until tender.
- To prepare the cabbage, heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion for 3 mins to soften. Stir in the cabbage, 1 cup vegetable stock and the cumin then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for about 20 mins until tender. Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter in a small saucepan and stir in 2 tbsp flour. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the remaining stock and 1 cup milk. Return to the heat and cook gently, stirring until slightly thickened. Once the cabbage is finished cooking, drain then return to the pan, add the sauce and season.
- To cook the pork chops, beat the egg in a shallow dish and season. Spread the breadcrumbs on a separate plate. Dust the pork chops in 1 tbsp flour, coat in the egg then the breadcrumbs. Heat the 2 tbsp butter in a frying pan and gently fry the pork chops for about 5 mins on each side until golden and cooked through.
- To serve, drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan. Add the remaining butter and milk and mash until smooth. Transfer the mashed potatoes and cabbage to warmed serving plates. Arrange the pork on top and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
PER SERVING *
|Calories830Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.