No need to turn on the oven to make these stuffed chops. Serve with steamed mixed vegetables and fresh French bread.
- 4 boneless pork chops (1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons barley (quick-cooking)
- 2 tablespoons onions (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed)
- 1 teaspoon orange peel (grated)
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs (fine)
- In a small saucepan combine barley, onion, water, bouillon granules, garlic and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in green pepper, orange juice concentrate, and orange peel. Mix well. Stir in bread crumbs.
- Make a horizontal slit in each chop, forming a pocket. Do not cut all the way through. Stuff chops with barley mixture; press to close pocket. Brown stuffed chops in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes on each side. Add 1/2 cup water to skillet, lower heat to a simmer, cover and let chops simmer for 10 minutes until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145 degrees Fahrenheit, followed by a 3-minute rest time. Serve immediately.