- 1 bone-in pork shoulder blade roast (8-10 pounds)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup salt
- 7 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups white rice (cooked)
- 3 heads bibb lettuce (separated and washed)
- 1 Dungeness crabs
- kimchi (As needed)
- XO sauce (As needed)
- 2 cups scallions (thinly sliced, white and green)
- 1/2 cup ginger (peeled, minced)
- 1/4 cup oil (neutral, ex: grapeseed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce (light)
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar (scant)
- kosher salt (To taste)
- 2 tablespoons Ssamjang fermented bean and chili paste
- 1 tablespoon Gochujang base (Kochujang)
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup oil (neutral, ex: grapeseed)
- Place the pork in a large shallow bowl. Mix together the white sugar and 1 cup of salt and rub this mixture all over the meat. Cover in plastic and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat an oven to 300°F. Remove the pork from the refrigerator and discard any juices. Place the pork in a roasting pan and set in the oven to cook for approximately 6 hours or until it collapses, yielding easily to the tines of a fork. After the first hour of cooking, baste with pan juices, continue basting hourly until the pork is fully cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the ginger scallion sauce by combining the scallions with the rest of the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Make the ssam sauce by combining the chili pastes with the vinegar and oil, mix well to combine.
- Prepare rice, wash and pick lettuce and pick the steamed crab meat. Set these up on your table along with bowls of the ginger-scallion and ssam sauces.
- When accompaniments are ready, turn the oven to 500°F. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar and remaining tablespoon of salt. Rub this mixture over the top of the cooked pork. Please in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until a dark caramel crust has formed over the surface.