- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil (+ 1 tsp)
- 3 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pound potatoes (peeled and coarsely grated)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 3/4 tablespoons walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 5 stalks thyme
- 1 3/4 ounces blue cheese
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 3/4 ounces apple (peeled, cored and cut into chunks)
- Soak the dried mushrooms in 1/2 cup of water for 15 mins. Meanwhile, heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a small frying pan and sauté the onions until translucent, remove. Drain the mushrooms and chop.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk together eggs, milk and 1/2 tsp salt. Squeeze the moisture out of the potatoes using a towel and add with the onions and mushrooms to the eggs, mix. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture, season. Pour the potato batter into a greased and floured cake pan (about 7 x 11 in). Smooth the top and bake 45-50 mins.
- In a dry frying pan, toast the chopped walnuts until they are lightly browned. Coarsely chop the leaves of 2 stalks of thyme, reserving the rest for garnish. Next, mix the cheese, butter, chopped thyme, walnuts and apple in a bowl, season.
- Remove the potato cake from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 mins before removing. Cut the potato cake into slices and garnish with thyme. Serve with a dollop of cheese spread.
|Calories370Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.