Roast pork rib rack with fennel seed, rosemary, lemon, and garlic, a dish traditional to the regions around Rome
- 5 pounds pork rib roast
- 1/2 cup rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Peel the lemons, peel the garlic, and pick the rosemary leaves, discarding the stems.
- In a food processor blend the rosemary, garlic, olive oil, lemon peel, ground fennel seed, and black pepper.
- Butterfly cut the rib roast so that it is cut down the rib section and through the loin in half to unroll to three times its original size. Score the meat with shallow slices all over.
- Season the rib roast all over with kosher salt, rubbing it into the flesh.
- Rub the spice mix all over the pork roast, then roll, inserting the rib end into the center of the loin so that the two sides of the loin are on the outside of the roast. Tie with twine to secure and place on a roasting rack in a roasting pan. Top the roast with any marinade that fell off in the tying process.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Continue baking at a reduced temperature of 350°F for about an hour, until the center of the rib roast reaches an internal temperature of 140°F.
- Check to see that rib roast is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Rest the rib roast for 20 minutes before untying. Slice and serve.
StarChef 12 days ago
super delicious! roasted potatoes and onions with it. Fantastic!