- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup poppy seeds (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups lemon curd (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt two times into a bowl; set aside. Grate zest of lemon into a small saucepan and add milk and poppy seeds. Heat over high heat until steaming; let cool to room temperature. Add vanilla extract.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until soft. Gradually add sugar; beat on medium speed until very fluffy, about 5 minute, scarping down sides of bowl several times. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; continue beating on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk mixture and beginning and ending with flour. Beat on low speed until just combined. Divide batter evenly for the cupcakes, about 2/3 full each. Bake until tops are golden brown or until a cake tester inserted in center of cakes comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans once if needed. Let cupcakes cool completely on wire racks. Cakes can be made a day ahead before serving if desired.
- Cut out a cone from each cupcake and trim the ends of the cones. Fill the hollowed cupcakes with lemon curd-whipped cream. Replace each top. Frost cupcake tops with more lemon curd-whipped cream and sprinkle some poppy seeds.