- 120 grams butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup passion fruit pulp (with or without seed)
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 lime (zest)
- 1 Orange (zest)
- 75 grams butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- For the Passion Fruit Jam Filling:
- In a saucepan, bring the butter, passion fruit pulp, and sugar to a boil.
- Remove from heat, let cool slightly (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs very well until frothy. Add to the pulp mixture, stirring constantly. Never stop stirring during this process.
- Heat the mixture, stirring constantly until it becomes thicker.
- Let cool completely and store in sterilized jars in the refrigerator.
- For the Poppy Seed Cake:
- Grease two small cake pans, and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, lime zest, and orange zest and mix with your fingers until it looks like wet sand. Add the butter and beat using an electric mixer until creamy. Add the eggs and beat well. Mix in the flour and the baking powder.
- Add the milk and flour alternately to the sugar mixture, stirring until smooth. Mix in the poppy seeds.
- Divide the batter between the two pans, and bake until done (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- Remove from the oven, then remove from the pans and let them cool completely.
- Cut each of the cakes horizontally in order to obtain four layers of cake.
- Place the bottom cake layer on a serving plate, spread with a bit of passion fruit filling. Place another layer on top. Repeat the process until you finish with the last layer of cake. Do not put filling on the top.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and fresh raspberries.
- Note: The cake is quite small, for a large cake double the recipe.