- 2 eggs (organic)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 75 milliliters vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- berries (Pomegranate, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Grease a round cake and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place eggs and brown sugar in a bowl and beat well until the mixture increases in volume.
- Add the oil, molasses, and buttermilk, and stir well.
- Sieve the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon and add to the egg mixture.
- Gently mix the batter and pour into the pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Prepare the syrup by mixing the pomegranate juice with the white sugar.
- Sprinkle the cake with the syrup while it is still hot, after removing from the pan.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
- Note: the dark molasses pictured was black treacle. It may be replaced by another type of molasses or honey.
- To prepare the buttermilk, mix one cup of milk with 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and let sit for 10-15 minutes before using.