Quiche is the perfect dish for brunch. In this recipe, a whole wheat and butter crust makes for a flavorful base for a variety of vegetables. Grilled poblano peppers add a ton of flavor and are accented with onions and scallions. The eggs are mixed with mustard, evaporated milk, and mozzarella cheese and accented with nutmeg for a flavorful custard base that works in perfect harmony with the onions and peppers.
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (cold)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- cooking spray
- 1 chile pepper (poblano, grilled, peeled, and seeded)
- 1 onions (medium, in half-moons)
- 2 scallions (with tops, minced)
- salt and ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 210 Celsius.
- Place the flour, salt, and oil in a large bowl. Cut in the butter. Add the water and use hands to form into a ball.
- Press into the bottom of a pie pan and cover with a large piece of plastic wrap. Fill the pie pan with uncooked rice and enclose it in the plastic wrap. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the rice and plastic wrap, and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Saute the onion and poblano pepper in a skillet with the cooking spray until the onion begins to brown. Add the scallion and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Mix the eggs, mustard, evaporated milk and nutmeg together in a separate bowl. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Place the onion and poblano pepper on the prebaked crust. Sprinkle with the mozzarella, pour the egg mixture over it, and then dust with parmesan.
- Increase oven to 200 C and bake for 20-30 minutes, when the quiche is firm to the touch. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories780Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.