Tinga is a dish of Mexican origins and typically features shredded chicken in a tomato, chili and onion sauce. This recipe for Poblano Pepper Mexican Tinga opts to use pork ribs for its meat of choice. Roasted tomatoes form the base of the sauce to which is added chipotle peppers for a smoky flavor. This dish also features potatoes and chorizo for a hearty tinga that should be served with warm tortillas and perhaps a side of beans.
- pork ribs (1 1/2 kl. meaty)
- 1 onions (whole)
- 3 garlic cloves (whole)
- 3 tomatoes (large, ripe)
- 3 chipotle peppers (in adobo)
- 4 potatoes (medium, cleaned and whole)
- 3 tablespoons pork lard (or olive oil)
- 1 onions (diced)
- 3 chorizo sausage (sliced into rounds)
- In a large pot, place the ribs, whole onion, and garlic. Cover with water and salt to taste. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the tomatoes in the pan and roast them for 30 minutes until they are easily peeled and soft. Let them cool and then peel them.
- Blend the peeled tomatoes and chipotle peppers together. Set aside.
- In the last 15 minutes of simmering the ribs, add in the whole potatoes. Once tender, remove from the stock, peel, and chop.
- Remove the ribs and shred the meat with 2 forks, discarding the bones.
- In another pot, heat up the pork lard and saute the diced onion and sausages until the onions are soft. Add in the pork meat, tomato mixture, and potatoes.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Serve with flour tortillas.
PER SERVING *
|Calories230Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat70|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.