- 1 quart milk (preferably whole or 2%)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (with active cultures at room temperature or applicable amount of commercial yogurt starter)
- 1Attach KitchenAid® Heated Chef Bowl and wire whip to stand mixer. Set heat to 220°F. Once preheated, add milk to bowl. Heat milk to 185°F, verify milk temperature with a kitchen thermometer, and stir occasionally with wire whip on Stir speed. Hold milk at 185°F for at least 1-2 minutes.
- 2Reduce bowl heat to 110°F and allow milk to cool to 110°F, stirring occasionally with wire whip on Stir speed. Verify milk temperature with a kitchen thermometer. Add plain yogurt and blend on Stir speed until mixed, about 30 seconds.
- 3Remove wire whip. Cover milk and hold (culture) at 110 °F to 115 °F for 5 to 7 hours or longer. Longer culturing times will yield thicker, more tart yogurt.
- 4A yellowish liquid (whey) will form during culturing. It can be stirred back into the finished yogurt or strained through several layers of cheesecloth for a thicker texture.