Bright, salty pistachios and deep rich chocolate with a fluffy center cream is a delicate summertime dessert. This pastry brightens up every meal with its light and airy filling, followed by a sweet deep chocolate sauce. Not recommended for beginning bakers, this intricate éclair takes time and dedication. Before embarking on making these small bites of heaven, check that a pastry bag, cooling rack, and all 29 ingredients are nearby.
- 45 grams egg yolks
- 40 grams caster sugar
- 15 grams cornstarch
- 250 grams milk
- 50 grams cream (liquid, 35% fat)
- 95 grams dark chocolate (minimum 60% cocoa)
- 50 grams butter
- 96 grams milk
- 96 grams water
- 96 grams butter
- 2 grams salt
- 3 grams sugar
- 96 grams flour
- 180 grams eggs
- 30 grams water
- 40 grams sugar
- 100 grams pistachios (whole)
- 90 grams ground almonds
- 30 grams flour
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 160 grams egg whites
- 100 grams egg yolks
- 12 grams sunflower oil
- 15 grams unsweetened cocoa
- 55 grams flour
- 65 grams powdered sugar
- 65 grams hazelnut (powder)
- 50 grams butter (creamed)
- Mix egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Boil the milk with the cream, remove from heat. Pour in the first mixture, and bring to boil over low heat.
- Mix with chocolate, let cool to 40 degrees Celsius, add butter in small cubes, and mix in blender.
- Wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (Can be prepared the day before).
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Celsius
- In a saucepan boil milk, water, butter, salt and sugar.
- Remove from heat, add the flour all at once.
- Mix and heat again until the mixture detaches itself from the sides of the pan (about 1 minute). Pour the dough into a food processor, and mix it on the K speed.
- Add the eggs one by one by rapidly mixing between each addition, do not add the next one until each one is completely incorporated in the dough.
- Use a pastry bag (sleeve 1 centimeter diameter fluted or not), and squeeze out 11 centimeter dough strips on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- The pastry will expand during cooking so be sure to space them enough.
- Using a wet fork, lightly scratch the entire length of each dough strip so they swell evenly.
- Place the eclairs in the oven and turn it off for 12 to 16 minutes. When they begin to swell, turn oven back on at 160 C for about 25 minutes (do not open the oven door during cooking).
- Cool on a rack.
- Preheat oven to 185 degrees Celsius.
- Make a syrup by boiling water and sugar, add the pistachios. Stir well, sieve, and spread them on a plate lined with wax paper.
- Caramelize for 8 minutes in the oven.
- Mix ground almonds, flour, sugar, and a little green dye.
- Mix the egg whites and yolks.
- Combine the flour mixture and the eggs, then add sunflower oil.
- Add some green food coloring if you wish.
- Fill a third of a plastic cup with this mixture. Place in microwave at 1000 watts for 30 seconds.
- Remove cup from the oven, turn upside down, and cool in this position.
- Then cut the cup with scissors to get the sponge cake.
- Tear with your fingers to obtain different shapes and sizes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Mix flour, sugar, hazelnut powder, butter, and a pinch of salt.
- Roll into balls the size of pebbles, spread on a baking plate, and bake for 8 minutes at 180 C.
- Roll them in cocoa powder right out of the oven.
- Let cool.
- When the eclair pastry has cooled, cut off the top half with a serrated knife.
- Cover the bottom of each pastry with chocolate cream, sprinkle with pistachios, then decorate with pieces of sponge cake. chocolate cream, and fill in with streusel nuggets.
PER SERVING *
|Calories630Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.