- 4 1/2 pounds pineapple (peeled, cored and coarsely chopped)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup fresh dates (pitted, quartered)
- 1/4 cup rum
- Place pineapple, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla bean paste in a large saucepan on low heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, without stirring, for 30 mins.
- Stir in dates. Boil for 5 mins, or until jam sets when tested. (To test for a jam's setting point, place a small quantity of the mixture onto a saucer. Allow to cool. If its ready, it will gel and wrinkle when moved.) Remove from heat. Stir in rum.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal immediately. Store in a cool dry place. Once opened, store in the refrigerator.