Pineapple Upside-down CakeO Meu Tempero
Pineapple upside down cake is an all-American tradition, thanks to the Dole pineapple company, which is largely credited with coming up with the original recipe. Since then there have been many variations on the upside down cake theme using other fruits, from apples and cranberries to mango and pear, just to name a few. But pineapple upside down cake remains the true classic and many people's favorite all around cake, hands down.
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 30 grams butter (softened)
- 100 milliliters pineapple syrup
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 200 grams wheat (fine flour with yeast)
- 5 slices pineapple (canned)
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1For the caramel: Place the sugar and water in heavy bottomed pan over medium heat .
- 2Shake the pan until the sugar is melted and the mixture is golden brown.
- 3Grease a 23 cm square pan with butter and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper with butter.
- 4Whisk the egg yolks together with the butter and sugar until creamy. Sift the flour and stir into the egg mixture. Add the pineapple syrup and mix well.
- 5Whisk the egg whites and carefully fold into the mixture.
- 6Place the caramel in the pan, top with the slices of pineapple and pour the batter over top.
- 7Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool. Turn out onto a serving plate so pineapple slices are face up.