- 1 cup crisco
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 egg whites (beat until stiff)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- bananas (3 lg., sliced)
- Bake in greased and floured pans at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. (Test with toothpick.)
- Cook over high heat; boil until it spins a thread.
- Slowly pour syrup onto beaten egg whites, while beating with electric mixer.
- Place cake layer on plate. Add pineapple and bananas. Cover with icing. Repeat until all layers are covered. Then spread icing all over cake.
- For Coconut Cake: Omit pineapple and bananas and use 2 coconuts; melt 1/4 cup butter in double boiler. Add 1 cup sugar. Stir in 3 beaten eggs, juice of 1 1/2 lemons and grated rind of 1 lemon. Cook, stirring until thick (20 to 30 minutes). Chill. Place cake layer on plate. Add filling. Sprinkle with coconut. Cover with icing. Repeat until all layers are covered. Then spread icing all over cake and sprinkle outside with coconut.