Each region of Mexico specializes in their own cultural foods and traditions. Picones are known for being a typical pasty that is made in the region of Guadalajara. You will love them flavor of these pastries as they are savory and sweet. Try our Picones (Typical Pastries from Guadalajara) recipe and let us know about your experience in the comments below. You can also give this Picones (Typical Pastries from Guadalajara) recipe a star rating to share with others.
- 500 grams flour
- 150 grams sugar
- 10 grams yeast
- 5 grams ground cinnamon
- 75 milliliters water
- 100 milliliters milk
- 10 milliliters vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 75 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 75 grams lard (at room temperature)
- 5 grams salt
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 50 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 50 grams confectioners sugar
- 50 grams flour
- yellow food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius.
- Mix the flour, sugar, yeast, and cinnamon together. Make 2 wells in the mixture, placing the eggs, vanilla, milk, and half the water into one and the butter and lard into the other.
- Mix each side separately and then incorporate. Knead for approximately 45 minutes until elastic and smooth.
- Lightly oil the dough with a little bit of lard melted on the fingers and place the dough into a greased baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and a dry cloth and place in a warm place until it doubles in volume, approximately 60 minutes.
- Mix the butter, sugar, and flour together and add a few drops of food coloring. Set aside.
- Tap the dough to deflate it and divide into portions. Form into balls and place onto a silicone or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the balls of dough with the egg. Form the topping into small flat discs and place on the dough.
- Cover with plastic and a dry cloth and allow to double in volume once more.
- Brush the topping with egg and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until slightly golden and firm to the touch.
PER SERVING *
|Calories680Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|