- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds (whole)
- 1 cinnamon stick (roughly broken)
- 4 whole star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 ginger (3-inch size piece of, roughly chopped)
- 1 bunch scallions (or green onions, white parts only, reserve the green parts for garnishing the soup)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 5 slices jalapeno pepper (fresh, depending on your spice tolerance)
- 1 handful rice noodles (soaked or cooked according to package directions)
- Less than 1/16 pounds flank steak (sliced paper thin)
- 1 bean sprouts (generous handful)
- scallions (sliced, or green onions, green parts only to taste)
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro
- 3 lime wedges
- hoisin sauce
PER SERVING *
|Calories200Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Mikey pop 7 Aug
Now what the heck is 1 ginger... and 1 bean sprout? Haha. Still better than the other pho recipes on here. Mine turned out lacking that restaurant flavor though
Luke B. 2 Jul
Excellent Would make again
Mimi Navan 21 Jun
Taste nothing like pho
Fedra P. 5 Apr
I was intimidated at first but it was actually pretty easy, the only thing I did different was add the thin sliced beef to the broth and let it cook there because I didn’t trust it to cook in the bowl, it was delicious!!! Will make again definitely:)
Guess 25 Sep 2017
Loved it! Almost as good as the Thai place across town.
Maryanne Nnake 14 Aug 2017
Wow this recipe turned out great! I will definitely make it again this week.
Ed 30 Jul 2017
Great! Still good if you water down the broth a bit to make more.
Noemie 26 Jul 2017
I thought this was delicious and easy to make. I doubled this fish sauce and sugar. I also added a bit more clove and star anise. So delicious!
German Fuentes 3 May 2017
Really quick and good!!!..... As a pho fan... This is the recipe you need for a quick lunch/dinner.
glory j. 2 May 2017
So good. Didn't have star anise but did have ground fennel which I guess is the same thing lol. Still, everyone be liked it.
Herb Q. 19 May 2016
Excellent recipe. Easy and quick to make. I make this several times a month for the family. I need to get ahead of things a bit by making the broth ahead of time, then it would be really quick!