This Pesto Potato Cake is made in the traditional Napoli tradition, tracing its origins back to the 18th century to a wedding in the kingdom of Naples between King Ferdinand I of Borbone and Maria Carolina. These traditional potato cakes are typically eaten cold or at room temperature. This recipe for Pesto Potato Cake combines the rich flavors of pesto and mozzarella into savory multilayer potato cake featuring layers of pesto mashed potatoes, green beans, and fresh mozzarella that is then baked until melted and golden.
- 800 grams potatoes
- 200 grams green beans
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 mozzarella cheese (ball)
- 2 eggs
- bread crumbs (as needed)
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cut off the tips of the green beans, wash them, and blanch them in salted boiling water. Drain them and cut them into small pieces.
- Wash the potatoes, cook them with their skin in a stockpot of cold water. Then peel them and mash them with a potato masher. Place the mashed potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs to the mashed potatoes and stir to incorporate, then add the pesto sauce, the parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste and combine well.
- Butter a baking dish and coat it with breadcrumbs.
- Place half of the mashed potato mixture in the baking dish and even out the surface, add a layer of green beans and a layer of mozzarella, cover with the remaining potato mixture and even out the surface.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, and a few pieces of butter.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes and then place under the broiler for 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven, let cool and cut into small squares.
PER SERVING *
|Calories440Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.