Gnocchi are a hearty and powerful pasta alternative. This recipe for Perfect and Easy to Prepare Potato Gnocchi is a wonderful way to get your kids in the kitchen and help make their own food. It takes 80 minutes to prepare these tender morsels, so you have time to talk and teach. If you love pasta but want to try something a little more hearty, then this recipe is perfect.
- 1 kilogram russet potatoes (use older dry potatoes that will not retain moisture)
- 300 grams flour
- 1 egg
- nutmeg (optional)
- butter (optional)
- parmesan (optional)
- 300 grams flour (optional)
- Cook the unpeeled potatoes for 40 minutes in salted water (starting with cold water).
- Drain and peel the potatoes while they are still warm.
- In a salad bowl, mash them with a fork or with a masher.
- Remove the mashed potatoes from the bowl, and allow them to cool for 10 minutes on a work surface.
- Make a hole in the center of the mashed potatoes, break the egg into the hole, add half the flour, and mix by hand until you get a smooth ball of dough.
- Gradually add the remaining flour (depending on the quality of your potatoes and their humidity, you may need more or less flour).
- Add salt and pepper (ground nutmeg to taste).
- Mix by hand until you get a nice smooth ball.
- Cut into thick slices, and roll each portion into a sausage.
- Cut into sections of approximately 1 cm, roll them in your hands, slightly flour them and press the back of a fork onto each section making small fork marks.
- Place the sections on a slightly floured cloth making sure they do not stick to the fabric.
- Boil a large volume of salt water in a saucepan, and drop the gnocchis from the cloth into the water.
- Boil the gnocchis until they float to the surface.
- Serve with melted butter, basil and parmesan.
PER SERVING *
|Calories490Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.