Perfect StewL'Antro dell'Alchimista
This comfort-driven stew includes all the anticipated ingredients — onions, carrots, celery and garlic — to create a homey broth that's full of depth, though the additon of red wine and tomato sauce ups its elegance. Browning the meat before adding it helps create an important layer of flavor. While it simmers on the stove-top all slow and low, prepare some creamy garlic mashed potatoes to serve with the stew.
- 800 grams steak (lean beef)
- 1 onions (medium)
- 1 carrots
- 1 celery ribs
- 1 garlic cloves
- 3 basil leaves
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 glass red wine (a full-bodied, Rosso di Montepulciano Doc 2005 of Poderi Sanguineto is a good example.)
- 350 grams peeled tomatoes (fresh)
- salt and ground black pepper
- beef broth (as needed)
- 1Cut the meat into pieces weighing approximately 50 grams each.
- 2Peel the onion, the garlic, and the carrot.
- 3Wash them with the celery and the basil and chop them all finely.
- 4Place the vegetables in a large saucepan and add a generous amount of oil.
- 5Saute the vegetables on medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- 6Add the meat and stew for 10 minutes on high heat. Turn the meat often until it has browned well.
- 7Add the red wine and allow it to evaporate completely on medium heat.
- 8In the meantime, wash the tomatoes, put them through a food mill and add them to the saucepan.
- 9Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 1/2 hours on medium-low heat, adding beef broth if necessary.
PER SERVING *
|Calories630Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.