- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil (extra-)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/2 pounds bone (skin-on, in chicken pieces, all thighs or a whole cut up chicken or a mixture of light & dark meat)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups carrots (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 10 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sherry
- 2 1/4 cups flour (all-purpose, DIVIDED)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (minced, plus more for garnish)
PER SERVING *
|Calories460Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Sarah Huet de Guerville 26 Jun
This was such a great family dish! I have to admit i used canned biscuits for the dumplings... I am sure the homemade dumplings are much better. Thanks for the great recipe!
Hernandez 16 May
loved it! will definitely make it again
Michaela Tieben Clark 3 Nov 2017
I’m making this recipe for the second time, and my GOODNESS is it delicious. My mom never made this growing up, but my husband’s mom did. So when he requested it I had no clue how to make it lol. Thanks for the easy to follow recipe, and it really was fantastic.
Cathy P. 13 Jun 2017
This is a savoury, delicious & easy recipe for beloved chicken & dumplings! It is perfectly satisfying & utterly enjoyable in every bite!
Megan Fox 5 Jan 2017
!The soup part is good but the dumplings are not. I did not like the corn meal at all. I prefer traditional dumplings. The cornmeal made them taste like cornbread with bread like texture instead of dumpling texture. Ick.