When the weather outside is frightful and you want a sweet treat that will warm you up, then hot chocolate is a perfect way to come in from the cold. These Peppermint Marshmallows for Hot Chocolate and Marshmallows, Covered Christmas Trees or Decorations are perfect to top either a decadent hot chocolate or top a beautiful chocolate pie for a to celebrate the holidays with your loved ones. We hope you enjoy these sweet toppings as much as we do.
- 20 grams gelatin sheets
- 370 grams sugar
- water (7 1/2 cl.)
- 50 grams egg whites
- 1 teaspoon peppermint oil
- powdered sugar
- cornstarch (or potato starch)
- Soak gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes to soften.
- In a saucepan, add sugar and water, bring to a boil and cook for 5 to 10 minutes on fairly high heat until the mixture forms a syrup. It must reach 125 degrees Celsius, use a thermometer to check the temperature. Remove from heat.
- In the food processor bowl, whisk the egg whites mixed with the peppermint oil until stiff.
- Drain the gelatin and add it to the syrup.
- Reduce the speed of the egg whites and immediately pour in the syrup while continuing to whisk. Continue whisking until the mixture cools completely, which will take 5 to 7 minutes, touch the sides of the food processor bowl to check the temperature.
- Pour the mixture in an oiled pan and smooth out with a spatula, not an easy process since the marshmallow mixture is very thick. Let cool at least 2 hours.
- In a bowl, prepare a mixture of powdered sugar and starch in equal amounts, stir.
- Cut the marshmallow into cubes with an oiled knife and roll them in the mixture.
- Store in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days.
- For hot chocolate with marshmallows, use an oiled knife to cut out marshmallow stars, add to hot chocolate, and heat in the microwave. The marshmallows will melt slightly.
- Use the marshmallows to decorate a chocolate pie.
- For Christmas tree marshmallows, cut out the tree shapes with an oiled cookie cutter, then put a lollipop stick in them. Melt milk chocolate in the microwave and dip the trees in it. Allow the chocolate to harden before serving.