- 3 turkey Italian sausage (links, 3/4 pound hot, or use pre-cooked chicken or turkey sausage of your choice)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (depending on the pan and whether you use pre-cooked sausage)
- 3/4 pound sliced mushrooms (thickly, or more, I used brown Crimini mushrooms)
- 1/2 red onion (cut into thin slivers)
- 5 cloves minced garlic (finely)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves (or more)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock (I used homemade chicken stock, but you can use canned chicken broth)
- 1/2 pound penne pasta (2 cups dry, use whole wheat penne or Dreamfields for the South Beach Diet; you can also make this lower in carbs by reducing the amount of pasta)
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (freshly, plus a little more for serving if desired)
- ground black pepper
PER SERVING *
|Calories420Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Valerie Houston 23 Apr
Amazing dish! Add Roma tomatoes!
Robert granillo 14 Apr
Really easy to make.
Sam Gabriel 8 Mar
I tweeted it some but I really like it
Angela Barone 25 Feb
It was very easy and had a lot of flavor. I substituted artichoke hearts for spinach. Family raved about it.
Frank-Holcomb 29 Mar 2017
Really delicious! I made it at the beginning of the week and enjoyed leftovers for the rest of the week.
Karen H. 11 Mar 2016
Love this recipe. It's good like it is, but could add carrots, and or celery or other veggies, like peppers or zucchini for variation.
Josh L. 3 Feb 2016
This recipe is incredible. I substituted turkey sausage for spicy Italian sausage because that's what I had on hand, and added a little extra cheese. My family loved this meal and even wanted to drink the cheesy-chicken broth liquid out of the pot! Will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing!