Peking Duck with Bulgur and Dried FruitsOn dine chez Nanou
Restaurant style duck with a side of bulgur and dried fruit come together to create a delicate blend of flavors. Turmeric, prunes, and figs pair with the soy and Worcestershire sauces for a balance between sweet and spicy seasonings. Naturally soft flavored duck is enhanced by the soy sauce glaze coupled with the soft pearly texture of bulger, spiced with herbs from the Middle-East. Finely sliced duck served with a perfectly circular serving of bulgur will have everyone in awe.
- 30 grams butter
- 1 1/2 kilograms duck (whole)
- ground black pepper
- 200 grams bulgur (large grain)
- 4 dried fig
- 4 dried apricot
- 4 pitted prunes
- 1 onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon "Raz el hanout" (a mixture of Arabic spices)
- 4 tablespoons honey
- soy sauce (5 cl.)
- worcestershire sauce (5 cl.)
- 2 orange (juice)
- 1Preheat oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
- 2In a pan, melt the butter. Brown the duck on all sides until golden. Season with salt and pepper. Add a glass of water, cover, and continue cooking for 1h20 to 1h30 depending on the size of the duck. Baste regularly.
- 3Cook the bulgur for 8-10 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain and cool under cold water.
- 4Cut the dried fruits into small pieces.
- 5Peel and chop the onion.
- 6In a pan, let the onion melt for 3 minutes in a tablespoon of olive oil. Add bulgur, spices, and dried fruits. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes stirring over medium heat. Set aside.
- 7Combine honey, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and the juice of 2 oranges in a saute pan. Boil for 5 minutes to obtain a syrupy consistency.
- 8Cut the duck in pieces, drop them into the pan, and cook them for 8-10 minutes on low heat, turning and basting.
- 9Serve duck with bulgur as side dish.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1950Calories from Fat1400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat1400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.