- 5 pounds duck
- 8 cups water
- 1 slice ginger
- 1 scallion (cut into halves)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolved in 3 tablespoons water<)
- scallions (for garnish)
- Wash duck in cool water. Wipe dry and tie a string around the neck, then hang duck in a cool, windy place for 4 hours to allow skin to dry.
- Fill large wok with water and bring to boil.
- Add ginger, scallion, honey, vinegar, and sherry; bring to boil.
- Pour in dissolved cornstarch and stir constantly.
- Place duck in large strainer above a larger bowl.
- Scoop boiling mixture all over duck for about 10 minutes.
- Hang duck again in a cool, windy place for 6 hours until thoroughly dry.
- Place duck breast-side up on a greased rack in oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Set a pan filled with 2 inches of water in bottom of oven for the drippings. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Turn duck and roast 30 minutes more.
- Turn breast side up again. Roast 10 minutes more.
- Use sharp knife to cut off crispy skin. Serve meat and skin immediately on a pre-warmed dish.
- Serve duck hot with hoisin sauce rolled in Mandarin Crepes. Garnish with scallion flowerets.