No Thanksgiving or Christmas spread is truly complete without Pecan Pie. Simple to make and guaranteed to impress!
- 1 pie crust (store-bought)
- 8 ounces pecan halves
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (or spiced rum, optional)
- Adjust a rack to sit on the lowest position in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place the pie crust into a 9” pie plate. Crimp the edges of the crust with either a fork, spoon, of clean hands.
- Line the pie crust with a sheet of parchment paper large enough to hang over the edges of the plate, and fill with pie weights. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the crust from the freezer to the oven. Bake the crust on the lowest rack for 15-17 minutes, until the edges of the crust are the slightest bit golden and the center of the crust is matte.
- Remove the crust from the oven and carefully lift off the parchment and pie weights.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the pecans on the baking sheet. Transfer to the oven.
- Toast the pecans for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the pecans to cool slightly before handling.
- Increase the oven temperature to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and bourbon or rum, if using.
- Transfer the toasted pecans to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, roughly chop.
- Fold the pecans into the sugar and egg mixture, until the nuts are thoroughly coated.
- Pour the filling into the blind-baked crust. Cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil.
- Transfer the pie to the lowest rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the pie for 45-55 minutes, until the crust is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Remove the pie from the oven. Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.