Autumn is upon us and that means cooler weather, crisper evenings, and changing leaves. Embrace the new colors and tastes of this season with this recipe for Pear, Vanilla, and Ginger Cake. Moist and airy, each bite of this Pear, Vanilla, and Ginger Cake carries a rich vanilla flavor that is complemented by the light spice lended by the addition of ginger. Poached in a marsala wine mixture, the pears are sweet and the entire cake carries their light fruity flavor.
- 8 pears (small)
- water (1 lt.)
- 375 grams sugar
- 5 ounces marsala wine
- 180 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 190 grams granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean (or 2 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 190 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 40 milliliters milk (or soy milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- To prepare the pears, place the water, the sugar, and the Marsala wine in a large saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cut off the bottom of each pear so that it can stand on its own and eliminate the seeds.
- Place the pears in the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, stirring occasionally, until the pears are done, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove the pears from the saucepan and place them on a plate.
- To prepare the batter, preheat the oven to 165C.
- Use a mixer to beat the butter with the sugar for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the seeds from the vanilla bean and the ground ginger.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and add it to the batter.
- Add the milk, mixing for a few more minutes.
- Butter and flour an 18 centimeter cake pan, or line it with wax paper and pour the batter inside.
- Add the pears to the cake pan by inserting them carefully into the batter, all the way to the bottom.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
|Calories1340Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.